Friday, June 19, 2009

Berkshire Organics


Oooh, one of the local Tweeters that I follow recently mentioned getting his fresh vegetables from a local delivery service called Berkshire Organics. This was a new name to me, and upon reading the comment, I immediately Googled the company.

Their website provides plenty of info. I don't know how I never heard of them before...they're just down the road at the Burgner's Farm store.

(Note: to find the price list on the site, you need to begin the order form, where you'll see the basket options listed. Another Note: the website also mentions that they have been featured on Martha Stewart!)

From the price list, I learned that I could choose from different "baskets," meaning different types of produce would be included and/or different amounts, depending on which I chose. I could also choose a delivery frequency (I'm going with every other week). On the designated delivery day, my basket will be delivered to my house, and I can leave a cooler out or my door unlocked if I won't be home. They leave the food in one container, and on the next delivery, they'll leave the food in another container and pick up the one from the previous delivery.

Upon perusing the available basket options and prices, I decided to go with the Berkshire Basket, an assortment of seasonal organic fruits and vegetables, just right for two people. Even though this is a pricey option for me, I'm going for it for a few different reasons:

  1. It's DELIVERED....HellO!
  2. I'd like to support local growers whenever I can.
  3. The produce is organic, meaning more sustainable farming methods have been used.
  4. I always mean to get to the farmer's market, but never seem to find the time.
  5. I can subtract this amount from my normal grocery shopping budget and just not buy produce at the regular grocery store.

And, when it is not our growing season, Berkshire Organics has partnered with other organic farmers who will be able to supply them with the produce they need for fulfilling orders. Today's order was delivered while I was at work (yay), and I also received an email alerting me to what would be included in today's delivery. Here's what we get:

  • 1 quart Strawberries - Czajkowski Farm, Hadley, MA
  • 8 oz Braising Greens - Markristo Farm, Hillsdale, NY
  • 1 bunch Scallions - Markristo Farm, Hillsdale, NY
  • 1 head Lettuce (Red, Boston, or Romaine) - Enterprise Farm, Whately, MA
  • 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes - Somerset Organics, GA
  • 1 Cucumber - Somerset Organics, GA
  • 1 bunch Celery - C & B Farm, FL
  • 1 bunch Broccoli - CA
  • 1 head Cauliflower - CA
  • 6 oz Blueberries - Cottle's Farm, NC
  • 2 Nectarines - CA
  • 3 Plums (Red) - CA
  • 4 Apricots
  • 2 Mango (Champagne) - Fair Trade
  • 5 Bananas - Fair Trade

There are other items available as well - eggs, breads, cheeses, etc. I think I'll stick with just the basket for now, and see how it goes. But, isn't this a FABULOUS idea! Hope they can spread the word and get lots of customers so they stay in business a good long time...I like everything about this service.
.

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs