Friday, October 10, 2008

Making the Most of a Commute

.
To make the most of my 45-minute commute to and from work (with gas prices, I'm glad to be driving a hybrid!), I listen to books on CD. They're available from the library, which has a growing collection. It seems that more and more drivers are making use of this terrific free service. All you need is a library card, and you have ready access to quite a list of books. An added plus is that the libraries in both Pittsfield and North Adams are in the same library system, so I can take a CD book out of one library and return it to another. Mighty convenient.

The available titles are so varied, and include classics, bestsellers, mysteries, and more. Some of my past "reads" have been:
  • Pompeii (Robert Harris)
  • A Walk in the Woods (Bill Bryson)
  • Me (Katherine Hepburn's autobiography)
  • Summer (Edith Wharton)
  • Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte's autobiography - I didn't realize that...thought it was purely fiction!)
  • Master and Commander (Patrick O'Brian)
  • Pride & Prejudice (Jane Austen)
  • The House of the Seven Gables (Nathanial Hawthorne)

Somehow, there just doesn't seem to be time to actually sit and read a hard-copy book anymore. These days, I really only sit around reading when we're on the beach on Cape Cod. And, The Illiad and The Odyssey have been sitting on our bookshelf at home for years, and have never been read. (Funny...they're never the books I choose to take for vacation reading!).

So, I'm now listening to The Odyssey on my car's CD player. Veeeeeery interesting. Finally getting the lowdown on all those Greek myths, and figuring out which god is married to which. Go Odysseus!
.

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs