Tuesday, May 12, 2009

4,000 Questions - #12: Values


Here's the background info on the 4,000 Questions posts...

Question #12: What is the one family value you believe in the most?

Growing up, it was a given that individual differences were acceptable and "normal." We were living a rather unusual life ourselves, so not only was this value spoken and implied to us as kids, but we also lived it every day.

We learned that everyone should be able to make choices that suit their own lives and personalities, and that there is no right or wrong way to live, as long as you're not breaking the law or otherwise infringing on others.

It's obvious that this value has been embraced by my family. Anyone stopping by for a visit during a holiday celebration will find such a mix of characters and lifestyles, and every one is "right" for that person.

I try to continue to live this value, and am so glad I learned it as a child. I hope I'm effectively passing it on to my daughter.

What is the one family value YOU believe in the most?.
.

4 comments:

Alaska-womom said...

Great question!
Honesty would be the one. One rule my parents always had for me was ,"be honest!" I could tell them anything. They didn't always like what I had to say, but if I told the truth things would get sorted out-eventually. Tell a lie and I was in for it! As a parent I agree! Lies erode relationships, honesty is the core of a trusting family and of all our other relationships as well.
I love reading your blog-your new ideas make me think. Thanks!
J.

LoveANewIdea said...

Jacki-
Mmmm...good one. It's interesting how we can handle just about anything, as long as someone is being truly honest with us. Thanks for answering!

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Hmmmmmmm... How's abouts "Do whatever you'd like as long as you don't hurt anyone"? However, that can be interpreted differently by different people so maybe it's not that good.

LoveANewIdea said...

Dave-
NO, I think that'a a good one, and a little interpretation never hurt anyone! It leaves room for individual beliefs and personality quirks.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs