Saturday, May 9, 2009

Photo Expedition - Route 22


On Mother's Day, my daughter lets me choose the locale, and we head out on a photo expedition. This means taking a camera along, with plenty of charged batteries, and seeking out beautiful photo opportunities and taking hundreds of shots. It's fun, creative, and helps us look at things a little more closely and with an eye toward framing a great shot.

This year, we decided to head south down scenic Route 22 just over the border in New York. Here's what we found as we meandered along

(NOTE: I can't figure out how to slow down this slide show. If it's running too fast, just hover over it until the control buttons appear, then click Pause. You'll be able to continue playing it when you're ready, or use the arrows to view one photo at a time.):



We had a lovely meal (late lunch, early dinner) at the quaint and cozy Hillsdale Crossroads Diner. It was pleasant inside, with friendly servers, interesting old farm implements hanging from the ceiling, and the requisite aluminum diner backsplash. They serve breakfast all day (hallelujah!), so I had my favorite corned beef hash and poached eggs. My daughter had the special - popcorn shrimp and fries.

Crossroads Diner on Urbanspoon

After that, we turned around and headed home again...still finding many great shots along the way. And, we still made it home with plenty of time to spare for uploading photos and creating slideshows!

PS - If you head out on one of these rural road trips, be sure to gas up the car ahead of time, pack water bottles and snacks, and bring cash! It can often be quite some time before you can get these items. We ended up needing cash to pay for our meal, as the restaurant didn't take cards, so went to the nearby gas station ATM. It only could dispense ONE $20 bill!
.

2 comments:

Skebba said...

What a fantastic idea for a day out!

There really is some beautiful countryside and scenery around you guys. And so green! Just amazing!

I struggled to keep up with the speed of your slideshow, had barely enough time to read the caption and look at the photo. However, I am a photo gawker, who has been known to stare at one photo for minutes at a time, so you can probably brush aside my commentary is completely irrelevant~

LoveANewIdea said...

Kelly-
I know exactly what you mean about the slideshow speed! Ever since Blogger did a code update, my Imageloop slideshows stopped working. So, I'm now learning Picasa. I just can't seem to figure out how to control the speed?? If I just LINK to my slideshow, I can adjust the slide timing, but if I'm embedding (which is just about all I do), there isn't ever an option for speed adjustment. If you ever come across this situation in your own blog, please come to my aid, Oh Techie Guru!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs