Sunday, May 17, 2009

iPod Songs: Wabash Cannonball

.
The story behind the song(s)...




By now, you've probably read my growing up story. My father called us gypsies, and we stopped our home on wheels just about anywhere at all (but usually in rural areas) as we wandered around the US. The modern term for what we did is "boondocking," but for us it was just everyday life - no modern conveniences, and water was lugged from nearby rivers and streams. Nowadays there are lots of books and online guides with tips for successful boondocking, but we somehow managed to get along without those. In fact, I think we could have written a few of them!

In the confined space of our gypsy wagon, and with 9 children, 2 parents, and several pets, there's wasn't room for toys or games, so we created our fun in different ways. We hiked just about anywhere you could hike. We played with things we found in nature. And, in the evenings after supper, we sometimes sang songs around an outdoor campfire.

My father played the guitar, the fire crackled, the stars shone in the dark night sky over Death Valley or a California beach, and we sang these songs. The Wabash Cannonball is one of my favorites, although I like all of the ones on this playlist. Listening to them on my iPod takes me back to those campfires so long ago, and our times out in the boondocks.
.

5 comments:

Mo said...

How did you get form alternative to internet savvy

Mo said...

correcting contact details

LoveANewIdea said...

Mo-
Hmmm...alternative...I like that.
My guess is that the way I grew up taught us to think, not just remember facts. I can pretty much figure out most things I try to, although I do get stumped every now and then!

Alaska-womom said...

Thanks for linking your growing up story, that made it easier to nav around-you ARE pretty savvy! I also visited Alaska Dave Down Under this morning and I thought about the word "wanderlust"-- then I read it on your blog! Very interesting. Thanks for getting my mind stretched out a little this morning.

LoveANewIdea said...

Jacki-
Thanks for stopping by! Isn't Alaska Dave the best...so funny, and always lots of interesting posts.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs