For those of you interested in tracking hits to your blog, Google Analytics offers a great FREE tool. Once you begin using it, you'll love the information it provides. Heres' a quick how-to:
- Visit www.google.com/analytics and follow the instructions to sign up for a new account.
- Once your account is set up, you'll be asked to paste in your site's/blog's URL. When you paste your URL in the box provided, be sure to remove the "http:/" from the beginning of the URL, as that is already provided for you. If you leave it in what you've pasted, it will make your URL invalid.
- You're now on a screen called Analytics: Tracking Instructions, which shows you an HTML tracking code. Copy this code.
- Now, click into your blog, and sign in to "customize". Click on "Layout" then "Edit HTML".
- Now you're in delicate territory - take it slow here!!!! You are in the actual code that makes your blog look and act the way it does. Take your time. It looks like a scary mess of words and symbols. Scroll waaaaaayyyyy down to the bottom of the code section and look for the word "/body" with "< >" on either side of it (sorry, I can't type the word and characters as a unit, because it's then actual HTML code, and the blogspot posting page won't allow HTLM code in a post). It's very important that you choose the "body" with the "/" in front of it. Click in just before this code and enter down a line.
- Now paste in the HTML tracking code you copied from your Google Analytics page into the new line you've created, just above the "body" code.
- Press "Save Template".
- That's it!