Friday, March 20, 2009

iPod Songs: Morning Has Broken

Tom Robbins novels must be read with utter abandon, and a release of all logical thought.
The story behind the song...



This song is red bandanas tied around shoulder-length hair, a cast iron woodstove, the scent of pipe tobacco, a floor lamp with a dim light around its base that stayed on all night, walking to the theatre in the rain and sitting through the show soaking wet and not caring at all, seeing the Po' Boys band at The Villa, cigarettes lit with the candle on the night club table so the light flickers against a profile…too cool for words, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Eric Clapton, and Cat Stevens, ping pong tournaments in the attic game room, yellowed copies of old Steinbeck novels, Tom Robbins’ funky “Jitterbug Perfume” followed by a bowl of beets, and eagerly searching for the answer to life, the universe and everything. 42.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try podcasts. They're even more fun

LoveANewIdea said...

Mo-
I've heard of these, but haven't tried one yet. I'll have to give it a go...then I'll be a serious techie!

Alaska-womom said...

Mo,
Just stopping by from Alaska to say hi and a great big thanks for your comment.
Our volcano blew today-I wonder if the kids will get a "volcano day" off school tomorrow?
My-I have to say you have some awesome taste in tunes.
Cheers,
J.

LoveANewIdea said...

J.-
I've been keeping an eye on Redoubt through the great Alaska blogs I visit - seems a bit nerve wracking to have an active volcano nearby!

Thanks for the compliment on iTunes...my selections are dramatically different from the ones on my daughter's iPod, but she will often play mine in the background when she's on my computer and has even put some of them on her own iPod! (Then, of course, I feel really cool and hip!)

Blair said...

Love this post! (Especially the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy shout-out at the end.) I've always had a thing for free, associative, stream-of-consciousness style of writing; you're very good at it!

And you just reminded me that a friend bought me a copy of Jitterbug Perfume a year or two ago, and I still have yet to read it. I really need to get on that.

LoveANewIdea said...

Blair-
Thank you! This one kind of wrote itself...I just tried to keep up with getting it down in print as fast as my brain was rattling it off! Love it when that happens.

Also, kudos to you for picking up on the Hitchhiker's Guide reference - was wondering if someone would note that!

I think Jitterbug Perfume was my very favorite Tom Robbins novel, and I was already a huge fan of beets when I read it.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs