Saturday, November 8, 2008

NY State Museum


A friend and I visited the New York State Museum in Albany today. I toured the museum years ago, but so much has changed since then. It seems like many other people thought a museum visit was the perfect way to spend a drizzly November day!

In addition to the terrific regular exhibits of natural and cultural history, they have a World Trade Center exhibit right now which is incredible. I really need to go back when I have more time to spend - there are so many audio and video facets to the exhibit that we just didn't have time for.

I had goosebumps as I viewed part of the jet engine that had been found in a nearby street. There is an entire firetruck that was pulled from the rubble, a battered door from a police car, bent and crumpled steel from the exterior of the building, and a steel beam that's pitted and scarred. One display case shows blackened gift shop trinkets featuring images of the towers, that must have been sold in an onsite tourist shop. There is an unusual, and heartbreaking, display of the many keys found at the site - keys that must have opened places of business throughout the buildings. Looking at the pile of keys...this ordinary detail of daily life...somehow felt so poignant.

I'm glad we went, and I definitely want to go back so I have a chance to listen to the stories in those audio displays.
.

No comments:

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs