Wednesday, January 7, 2009

4,000 Questions - #2: Unusual Films



And, here's Question #2: Are you a fan of any unusual music or film?

My Answer:

I'll choose film, since that's where my interest lies. I can't say I'm a fan of an unusual film, but I DO have a fun hobby...I'm in the process of watching every Oscar-nominated movie since the Oscars were first given out in 1928. I'm currenly in 1940. (Thank goodness for Netflix, which has so many of the older and uncommon movies.)

As I move through each year in film, I not only get to watch stars and directors develop over time, but I also get to see the changes our own American culture has gone through. This hobby has actually been a quirky and engaging study of cultural anthropology!

One of my daydreams is to hold (not just see) an Oscar of one of the stars or films I admire. And, of course, Oscar night is our superbowl!

Your Answer...
.

6 comments:

pam said...

I love your idea about watching the Oscar-nominated movies! I think I might try that too! Or maybe just watch those that one best picture.

LoveANewIdea said...

Pam
You'll LOVE it - my source for Oscar nominee info through the years is:

http://awardsdatabase.oscars.org/ampas_awards/BasicSearchInput.jsp.

Have fun!!!

Sam(antha) said...

I would say I like a sortof unusal film, at least for somebody in America! :) I LOVE the movie Amelie, which is a French film about a woman who wants to make life better for others and has to learn to accept good things for herself, too. Amelie is the cutest character, and the movie is just adorable! I watched it with subtitles, which I'm sort of addicted to.

LoveANewIdea said...

Zenith
I've seen Amelie too! And, it IS a terrific and charming foreign film...definitely a must for one's viewing list.
Thanks for visiting!

Sean said...

Wow, this is a tough one.

While my tastes in music are all over the map, they can hardly be called "unusual," unless you count the fact that I am partial to 70's-era action TV themes (the original Theme from SWAT is my cell phone ring -- really).

So I, too, will have to go with film. In which case, I have to say it would be the John Carpenter cult classic, Dark Star (IMDB, WikiPedia).

You really need to rent it to understand how odd it is. And while you watch, bear in mind that it came out in 1973-4, pre-dating such spoofs as Airplane! and even pre-dating Star Wars.

LoveANewIdea said...

Sean-
Hmmm...you have stumped me with this one! I will definitely have to add this to my Netflix queue - I can't have any blanks in my movie knowledge base!

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs