Okay, so what the heck is a favicon?
A favicon is that little image that appears to the left of a URL or web address. If you'd like a custom one of your choosing on YOUR blogspot site, here's a fairly easy, non-techy way to get one:
- First, you need a website that will both create AND host your favicon. You can do this at IconJ.
- Once on this site, click on "Upload Your Logo/Image/Photo File to Generate the Icon." Browse out to your files and select the image you want to use (you'll want to choose something fairly small and simple, as these icons are TINY and have very little detail). Then, click on "Upload It!"
- You'll now see "FavIcon.Ico Successfully Generated!" and you should see your icon mini image. You don't need to click on "Download It"
- Below "Download It" you should see "Direct Download" or "Host It at IconJ.com: Direct Link"; in the "Host It"section, copy the code you see there.
- Now sign in to your blog and click on "Layout" then "Edit HTML"; Exercise extreme caution on this page!!!!!
- About 10 lines or so down in the code, you'll see a line that has <> at each end; in between these two symbols, you'll find code that says "title data:blog.pageTitle/ /title". At the end of this line of code, enter down once to create a new blank line.
- In this new blank line, paste the code you copied from IconJ.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save Template"
That's it; now click on view blog and you should now have an icon before your blog URL (sometimes it takes a few minutes to appear, so don't worry if it doesn't happen immediately). And, you can change it any time you want too!PS - You won't see your Favicon when you are in Edit Mode.
PPS - Be sure to bookmark the IconJ website, so you can edit your Favicon in the future.
Can you tell what my Favicon is or does it just look like a tannish "thing"?